Welcome to ...
MutualFundAlliance.com's Guide to Mutual Fund Investing
There are literally thousands of books on investing and investing in mutual funds. In fact, a quick search on the online bookseller Amazon.com illustrates that there are more books on mutual fund investing than there are mutual funds.
So with so many resources already out there, why are we writing yet another reference guide on mutual fund investing? Below, we cover a few of the reasons and the objectives of this guide.
- Integration of academic theory with real-world experience: At the MutualFundAlliance.com, we have studied mutual funds extensively in an academic environment and created quantitative models based on this sound investment theory. But more importantly, we have put these theories to the test for the past 18 years in managing our own portfolios and the portfolios of thousands of managed investors portfolios totaling over $150 million. In addition to the online resource of MutualFundAlliance.com, we feel that it is important to continue to educate our members and clients in our investment methodology to empower individual investors the benefit of our experience.
- Using MutualFundAlliance.com: In addition to this guide as a stand-alone resource for our members, we wanted to publish a comprehensive guide to getting the most out of MutualFundAlliance.com. Therefore, as we cover a topic, concept, or use of data within this book, we will illustrate how to use MutualFundAlliance.com as a powerful investment tool put these investment principles into practice.
- Additional Online Investment Resources: The goal of this guide and MutualFundAlliance.com is not to be a comprehensive, all-inclusive investment resource. There are plenty of additional resources available through mutual fund companies and online. Our goal here is to illustrate how to use these additional resources, in conjunction with MutualFundAlliance.com, to become a more proficient, effective investor.
We have divided our discussion into seven Chapters. In the Sections below, we describe the contents of each of this book’s Chapters.
- In Chapter 2, we cover the basics of investing, including the basics of mutual funds, stocks, and bonds.
- In Chapter 3, we discuss the details and advanced topics of mutual fund investing.
- In Chapter 4, we discuss various techniques of mutual fund selection and discuss in detail the MutualFundAlliance.com methodology for mutual fund selection process.
- In Chapter 5, we discuss how to create a mutual fund investment portfolio. Once you have selected the mutual funds that you have estimated will out-perform over your time horizon, the next step is to create a portfolio of mutual funds that fit in with your overall financial portfolio.
- Chapter 6 covers the paperwork and the options for purchasing funds. There are many options in not just selecting mutual funds and allocating them within your portfolio, but also how you decide to purchase them.
- In Chapter 7, we discuss techniques for keeping an eye on your portfolio and how to help keep it top-performing. Once you have made your fund selections and built your portfolio, the work is not over. As the economy and the fundamentals of your investments, and your investment objectives change, so should your portfolio.
- In Chapter 8, we present a glossary of commonly used investment terms.
- In Chapter 9, we review additional online investment tools and links.